Monday, January 20, 2014

Cancer Sucks!

Hi Girls-

I would love to start this out by writing what a fabulous weekend I had but that was certainly not the case.  I'm recovering from the flu so my weekend consisted of moving from the couch to the bed to the couch back to the bed and so on and so on.  I'm a bit upset with myself that I still haven't gotten that second television for my bedroom yet as I would have saved myself a bunch of unnecessary movement over the last few days.  Anywhoodle, I believe I have made the turn and am feeling 100% better than I was just a couple days ago.

My apologies that this is going to be a more serious post about something that so many of us have been affected by--either directly or indirectly.  I think you would be hard pressed to meet someone who has not known someone or at least known of someone who has cancer.  Hopefully it is someone that beat it.  If they didn't beat their battle with this dreadfully horrible disease, I pray that comfort and peace came upon their family and that they are healing.  I've known and prayed for many people with cancer.  It has affected my family directly and a number of friends in my life. 

My first experience was when I was in the 6th grade--his name was Jason Shue and he was the first person that I ever knew that had cancer but also the first person in my life that I've ever known that died.  Death and illness doesn't really make a lot of sense when you are 12--heck, who am I kidding, it really doesn't make a lot of sense when you are 35 either but when you are that young, you tend to have a lot more questions.  And of course I did and my parents did their best job in trying to explain that sometimes God's plan doesn't go the same way as what your plan is. 

This weekend was one of those times when life just doesn't seem to make sense and you question what God's plan is and why he chooses to take specific people.  I have a dear friend and former co-worker that I had the pleasure of working with for 12 years at my last company.  I left over a year and a half ago and haven't been in touch with him consistently other than the occasional text, phone call and FB note.  I learned just a few short weeks ago that this beautiful man had been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer right before Christmas.  He is a Godly man with a beautiful bride of 30 years and two gorgeous daughters.  The doctors gave him a devastating prognosis of 1 year with aggressive chemotherapy or 3-6 months with nothing.  To his family, their world shattered.  To Scott, from what I understand in speaking with those around him, he was ready to go home to Heaven if that was God's plan.  Scott lost his VERY BRIEF battle with cancer on Saturday afternoon.  It almost still doesn't seem real to type it out.  This was a man who was the size of a giant but with a heart even bigger than that.  A man who professed his faith naturally and with anyone who would listen, a man who I never heard swear or take a drink and gave the best bear hugs around.  I am absolutely heart broken.  I am so saddened for the new life that his wife and children will now know.  I think that, to a child, losing a parent, is expected at some point in our life.  We know it will happen but when it does, it just seems too much to handle and when it does in such a quick manner as did the situation with my friend, we are left even emptier than we thought.  If you are reading this, please pray for this dear family.  Pray that they have comfort and peace for what God's plan was and that they get through these first initial days of the realization that their dear husband and father is no longer in their presence.  But also pray for them after these first initial days when people stop asking how they are doing, when they stop visiting, when the meals stop being delivered at their home and when others move on with their lives because that is what they are supposed to do.  This is the time when they most need your prayers because at this time is when the new normalcy of how their life is going to be actually sinks in. 

I also learned this weekend that a very dear friend of mine whose Aunt is back in the hospital after being rediagnosed with cancer.  She received a clean bill of health last June.  Her family is devastated about the possibility that they might lose her to this disease.  She is 46, married, has two children who are 18 and 21 and an extended family that completely adores her and are praying for a miracle.  Please lift this family up as well. 

OK, I know, heavy post, right?  That was not my intention but sometimes life is not all rainbows and ponies.  CANCER SUCKS! 

Until Next Time, Much Love...

Jennifer

0 comments: