Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thankful Thursday

Hi Girls-

Hope you are all having a super fantastic week!  I decided that instead of doing a list again for my "Thankful Thursday", I would talk about a specific event that I attended over the weekend that touched my heart in more ways than I could ever imagine.  My church and several of my friends have been involved in the Joyful Hearts ministry.  It is run by an incredibly giving woman whose heart and soul goes into helping the mentally disabled and physically handicapped.  This woman is Ah-Mazing!!! Well, this weekend was the 4th annual Joy Prom.  It is a prom held for teens and adults with challenges and I can honestly say it was one of the coolest things that I have ever been involved with in my entire life.  This year's event was attended by over 900 incredible human beings--that doesn't include the 100's of volunteers that were involved.  Everything is donated--food, decorations, gift bags, music, the place it was held, jewelry, limos, make up, flowers, boutineers and photo services---when I say everything, I mean everything and it was unreal!  My church group had the honor of working the red carpet which by far has to be the best job there was at this event.  I had the privilege of standing for about 4 hours cheering on, giving high fives, blowing bubbles, clapping for, shedding a few tears for every single attendee at this event---it was fabulous!  The joy that is in all of these folks hearts y'all is unbelievable.  It touched me far beyond I could ever have imagined.  After al the attendees had walked the red carpet, they went inside the venue and were treated to a fiesta dinner, dessert and then that's when the fun began--a night full of dancing.  Let me tell you, I was exhausted and worn out by 8:30 but these gals and gents were going strong and I can be honest in saying that most of them had way more rhythm than this white girl.  I simply can't wait to become way more involved with the event next year.



The Red Carpet
 
My awesome friend Tami

My Dear friend Deven

Another friend David

One of the limos in line

One of "my" sweet kids Klay who is growing up to be such an awesome young man

The limo line--every attendee rode in a limo around the parking lot.  The looks on their faces was prices.

Inside the venue--this is the dance floor where the attendees and volunteers all got down with their bad self (spoken from the heart of a girl with absolutely no rhythm).

I adore this picture of me and one of the caregivers--this is the 80 year old grandmother of one of the attendees.  She was on the dance floor with her granddaughter when I walked up and asked if they were having a good time.  She said she was blown away by the magnitude of the event.  I asked if she was getting her groove on to which she told me that she hadn't had "any groove in 40 years" and that she was 80 years old.  I told her she was 80 years young and we then proceeded to do "The Wobble".  My heart was so full!

This pretty much sums up my feelings for the whole night---this is what it was all about!

Just getting down!

This was a sharply dressed couple who had dance moves that were fantastic!

This photo is of Arthur--one of the many gentlemen who gave me the honor of dancing with them.  Arthur was a very simple, quiet soul but I'll tell you what y'all, when Notorious BIG came on over the DJ booth, this guy broke out of his shell.  Thank you Biggie ;)

Y'all--I can't tell you how full my heart was in volunteering at this event!  It also fulfilled one of my "36 Things" list that I am terribly far behind on.  I simply can't wait until next year!  Come back tomorrow for "Confessional Friday" linked up with the Lovely Leslie.

0 comments: