Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Willkommen in Deutschland! Part 2

Hi Girls-

Willkommen zurück!  (or Welcome back!)  OK, when we last left off, I had made the long trek over that beautiful pond of ours, conquered 4 trains, a cab ride and checked into my beautiful non-air-conditioned room in Solingen, Germany.  It was now for work to start and I was way off on my sleep due to jet lag and the time differences (6 hours ahead).  But I was a trooper--I couldn't have felt more fortunate that I was in another country and was fully prepared to take advantage of every minute I could of it--sleep deprived or not!  Our office was right around the block from the hotel and was beautiful.  I absolutely adore how everything appears to be so simple.  Although I was working, it certainly didn't feel like it.


My office--our global headquarter.  The bottom corner photo is from the office we worked in all week--also with no air conditioning so all the windows were open. 
 
Everything is in glass bottles--and I realized how much I really disliked sparkling water.  I'm a still water girl all the way!
And this was lunch our first day--honestly, I have no idea what most of it was except for the salami and turkey.  It was still all very good!
 

 
Our first night out was at a Spanish restaurant.  I forgot to pull out my phone early enough to take a full picture of the appetizer plate but it was sardines (both pickled and fried), cheese, prosciutto, calamari, capers and olives.  I didn't take a photo of my meal but I shared the paella.  



 
 And this was the after party--honestly, I drank more beer in the course of my 7 days in Europe than I think I have in my entire adult life.  It was fabulous!  This was the first pub we went to that was right around the corner from our hotel.  The shot was some cherry liquor that tasted much like Nyquil. 


And yes, that's an Aldi's.  I was in love!!!  The Aldi's there are like the ones here except they are twice as big and they sell beer and hard liquor.
 
 
 The entire German/US Sales team and our other gifts from them.  We did a hat exchange and I must say, I looked much better than the rest of the guys from the US.  They definitely looked like they should have been auditioning for extras in The Sound of Music. 

 These were taken on the night of our 50th Anniversary party.  We had dinner at a beautiful "castle" that looked like many of the houses that I've seen celebrities live in in the Hamptons.  It was really special to be a part of the event though as the first customers that originally bought product from the founder of Unger spoke--albeit in German so I had absolutely no clue what they were saying but most of the crowd was laughing so I imagine it was pretty comical.

We are getting there girls--up next my trip to Amsterdam!

0 comments: