Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Willkommen in Deutschland! Part 3

Hi Girls-

I'm getting back to my European trip in July and finishing up my days in Germany.  Y'all, I had such an amazing trip and it's really fun to look back at these pictures and remember how awesome it was.  After a few work days in the office, that honestly didn't feel like working, because well, I was in an amazing country with views that are so amazing that it almost didn't seem real, we were able to do a group sight seeing trip.

Our office coordinator planned a walking tour in downtown Dusseldorf and dinner at a local German brewery--both of which were fabulous!  To be completely honest, I was so enamoured by the culture and spirit of the town that I didn't pay not one lick of attention to the tour guide  With that being said, although most of these pictures probably have some sort of significance, I really can't tell you anything about them, except that they are pretty :) 



 

This was our meal at the German brewery--like super authentic.  We had to order ahead of time so I honestly had no idea what "pork knuckle" actually was but when in Germany, eat as the Germans do.  So, that's what I did.  It was kind've like a big rib and apparently was the elbow of the pig.  The skin was hard, much harder than what I expected but too delectable not to eat.  Although I'm not a fan of sauerkraut, at all, I did have a taste because it was the polite thing to do.  This really was one of the best meals I had while traveling although I was so completely full that I never wanted to eat again after we left.


I think I had eluded in a previous post that during my European vacation, I drank more beer than I ever have before.  Case in point to the picture above.  My boss thought this was the best thing he's ever seen.  He's a big beer drinker--and the system that a lot of the breweries have in place is awesome.  You want more beer, keep your coaster off the drink--when you are done, put the coaster on it, much like those Brazilian steakhouses if you've ever been to one.

And to bring more beer into the mix, here's a chocolate mousse made with what else, beer!  It was awesome, although I was too full after my pork knuckle dinner to really enjoy it.


The streets are all so lovely.  I love this picture and the cobblestone roads.  I would love to go back.

Now, this is where it gets really exciting!  Did you girls know that the Haribo factory is in Germany?  Well, I didn't.  I had posted earlier that instead of chocolates on my pillow at night, my hotel put gummy bears on them which I thought was quite strange.  Until I told my European counterpart about it and he said, "well, you know, the Haribo place is right around the corner.  Do you want to go?"  Uh, yeah I do!!!!  As crazy as it sounds, this really was one of the highlights of my trip and all my favorite kids back home got snacks from there when I got home.


 



One of the art street vendors. 

This church was right next to my hotel.  And it rang for a long time (a very long time), at 6am and 6pm---every, single day!!!!

OK, girls, that's all I have for Germany.  Next up Amsterdam!

0 comments: