Tuesday, February 24, 2015

19 Years...


Morning Girls-

Hope you all survived Monday!  I am Indiana bound, but fortunately just for the day and then I have nearly two weeks with no travel.  Can I get an Amen? Whoo hoo!

Today's post is all about my Daddy!  If you've been reading here for a little while, you know that I lost both of my parents in 1996---totally unrelated incidences but it is a year that I've tried to push completely out of my memory.  Except on days like today when I'm reminded of when it happened. 

February 24th, 1996--19 years ago today, I lost the greatest man I think I'll ever know. A man that had a contagious smile and laughter.  A man who had the best work ethic of anyone I have ever known.  A man who loved the Lord with every fiber of his being and wasn't afraid to tell anyone about it.  A man who seemed to know everything about anything.  A man who instilled morals and values and the love of Christ in me from a very early age.  A man who was a gentle giant and would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need.  A man who was incredibly kind and adored by so many.  A man who was patient beyond measure especially living in a house with 3 girls.  A man who adored his wife and treated her like a Queen everyday.  A man who loved his family like none other and who gave the best hugs and kisses.  A man that I was blessed to call my Daddy.

I remember everything about that day.  I remember the room in the hospital that they brought us to, the pictures on the wall, the chairs my momma, sister and I sat in and I even remember that it was freshly painted because I still have that scent in my head.  It was the most horrific day I had ever encountered in the 17 years that I had been alive.  The doctors said, "We did everything we could."  Words you never want to hear---ever!  I honestly don't remember much after those words were spoken.  I remember packing up our stuff from the waiting room we had been more or less living in for over a month and being ushered to our car and going home and that was it.  My daddy was gone--I would never see him again.  The heartache was immediate and incomprehensible. 

The next week went by in a blur with people stopping by, sending their condolences, massive amounts of food being brought over, receiving at the funeral home and the funeral itself.  I remember sitting in the pews at our church and feeling overwhelmed with pride that there was standing room only in our church and that people were actually standing outside.  He had touched THAT many lives.  I was a Senior in High School at the time and my world was shattered. Thankfully, school was so different in those times and the many days I missed were forgiven and the slide in my grades were ignored.  I had the most supportive community ever during this time. 

So, here we are...the hours turned into days, the days into months and the months into years.  It almost seems unfathomable that it's been 19 years.  He's been gone longer than I knew him.  However, I try not to dwell on that fact.  I consider myself so lucky to have had 17 years and 9 months with the first man I ever loved and one that I have and will compare all others to.  He was an amazing husband and an incredible father and I am so fortunate to have had that in my life. 

Daddy---I will continue to think about you everyday.  I will relish in the fact that you made me who I am today and that I know how proud you would be of me.  I will love you forever and always! 

This is by far my most favorite photo of my Daddy, sister & I--like my most favorite ever.  He loved his girls so much and his smile shows that! 
Our Family!
This was the last photo of my Daddy & I at my Senior Homecoming Court. 
Y'all remember that yellow sweater that I posted about a couple weeks ago?  Well, this is another photo of him in it along with my god parents.  I am so glad my sister found this sweater.  It's the little things and oh, how I love this smile!
And just him!  He was perfectly imperfect and everything that a father should be! I am immeasurably blessed to have known him for the little amount of time that I had him here on Earth with me. 

6 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Jenny..I can't imagine the heartache you have had, but I do know that your parents are looking down smiling at the wonderful woman you are!!!

Jenny Morgan said...

Thank you so much for your sweet words :)

Deena Simair said...

Oh, wow- what a story that has given you so much strength and wisdom. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I wish you peace.

Jenny Morgan said...

That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Thank you for the kind words!

Lana L. said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, at such a young age. What a beautiful post to your dad - I could feel how wonderful he was by reading it!

Jenny Morgan said...

He was wonderful! Thank you so much :) Happy Thursday!