Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Compassion

Hi Girls!

Happy Wednesday!  Today's post is an exciting one for me.  One I touched on during my Weekend Recap post on Monday.  I adore children and although I don't have any children of my own, I consider myself so blessed to be involved in the lives of most of my friend's kids.  I kind've call it the best of both worlds---I get to play with them, have fun and get hugs and snuggles, have slumber parties, kiss booboos, teach them fun things and host birthday parties but then I get to send them home and don't have the responsibility of paying for their college.  In all actuality, I take my job as "Jenny" very serious.  I would give my life for any of them and I love them all as if they are my own.  With that being said, it is with great excitement that I announce that this Jenny has gone international.

Today, I wanted to take the time and properly introduce y'all to the newest member of my family---Charleny.  I had mentioned on Sunday that I wanted to do a separate post on the most recent diva in my life as I felt that she deserved to have all the attention on her.  You see, I found Charleny, or rather God found her for me, on Sunday during my church service focused around the Compassion Experience.  If you are unfamiliar with this project, check it out here.  I was touched and God spoke to me, well y'all if I'm being serious, he yelled and said, you must do this---so that's just what I did.  To be completely honest, it was a bit jarring looking at the tables set up with row after row of children waiting to be sponsored.  Different ages, boy or girls, different races, different countries---but they all had one thing in common:  they need help!  I wasn't sure before I got up how I was going to choose a child.  I didn't know if I would go back and forth from table to table pondering who do I help.  BUT as soon as I stepped up to the first table, this sweet precious 4 year old girl spoke to me---I didn't look anywhere else. 

Charleny is a 4 year old from the Dominican Republic.  She lives in San Juan which is home to about 3,000 residents.  Her home most likely is made up of cement with a corrugate tin roof.  She most likely eats maize, beans, bananas, chicken, bread and rice every day.  Most adults in San Juan work in farming and earn about $69 per month.  What I know specifically about this precious child is that she enjoys playing house, loves dolls and running.  She attends church and is in kindergarten.  She lives with her moth and father and has 2 other siblings.  I'm getting teary eyed as I write this just as I was when I picked up her packet.  It is incomprehensible to me how a family of 5 can survive on $69 a month--I just don't even know how that works.  I am so overwhelming blessed in the life I have with just the basics:  a roof over my head, food in my belly, shoes on my feet, medical care and the freedom and abundant opportunity available to me here in the U.S.  It almost makes me feel guilty for all that I have.  But I am so excited that now that Charleny has me as a sponsor, it will now allow the staff of Evangelical School Emmanuel to provide my girl with Bible teaching, dental checkups, sports, birthday celebrations, field trips, health education, tutoring, typing classes, uniforms and vocational training.  The staff will also provide hygiene and dental care education for Charleny's parents.  I can't wait to get my packet in the mail with other information about her and be able to write my first letter to her letting her know who I am and that I will always be there to lift her up, to make her know her worth, to tell her that she can be anything she wants to be, to make sure she knows and believes she is beautiful but most importantly that she knows I am praying for her everyday and that God loves her.  What if I hadn't come along?  What if I hadn't stepped up?  Would she have been sponsored by someone else? 

When I post pics of off the beautiful kids in my life on Instagram, I always use the hashtag #mycuprunnethover (which is by the way my most favorite movie line from Hope Floats).  Well, this time is no different---my cup truly does runneth over!  Welcome to my family!  May you always know this "I am the daughter of a King who is not moved by the world for my God is with me and goes before me.  I do not fear because I am His."



2 comments:

Megan said...

Compassion is such a great thing! I think its so awesome how God can connect us with a child that is half way around the world! Have a great day!

Jenny Morgan said...

I couldn't agree more and I am so excited to start this process!!! Hope you are having a great Wednesday!