Sunday, February 15, 2015

It's a Boy, Fried Green Tomatoes, Laundry at 2am, SNL & More

Hi Girls-

Happy Monday! How was your weekend!  Mine was crazy busy but I took some time out yesterday to relax and recuperate and after you read the below, you will know why.  But I thought I'd start out and let you know that "You're Awesome!"  I'm trying to have a more positive, glass is half full kind've attitude this Monday, however, I'm sure I'll be back to my more cynical, half empty self on Tuesday--don't you worry :)
                                                   

Friday night, I went out to a local place that was featured on Diners, Drive-In's & Dives with some girlfriends.  It's funny because this place is literally right around the corner from my house and I've never been there but it was delicious.  If you are ever in the Charlotte area and looking for some local Southern with a twist cuisine, I definitely recommend Jake's Good Eats.  I also was able to check another thing off my 36 Things List by finally eating a fried green tomato.  It really wasn't that bad--tasted like squash but really, who am I kidding, you could fry a gym sock and I would probably like it :)

         

Moving onto Saturday, I mentioned last Thursday that I was hosting a gender reveal party.  My sweet friend Robin's daughter, Lindsey, who I had helped plan her wedding last Summer, gave me the honor of revealing what Baby Mowery was going to be. 
This was from sweet Lindsey's wedding last Summer.  My girlfriend on the left is a super awesome party helper. 
Lindsey's husband is a Marine and they currently live in Jacksonville, NC.  I didn't find out until late Friday night what Baby Mowery would be (no pressure) and it was so exciting to be the first to know--and also quite stressful because I had to be certain that I didn't say He or She or Him or Her but the party went splendidly.  I did simple decorations for the party---trucks & bows, books and lots of pink & blue. 

 
 I was super excited at how all the decorations turned out.  Lindsey had been craving certain things that I served like corndogs, fried pickles and Kit Kats.  We had blue and pink painted clothespins for everyone to wear based on what they thought the gender was and a chalkboard to tally up the votes.  The mini Hershey's bars turned out super cute, the pretzel rods were perfection and the M&M's sign "Nuts or No Nuts" certainly got a laugh :


And, IT'S A BOY! Lindsey said she knew all along (called it momma intuition)  but Taylor said he was certain it was a girl.
Next to capturing the parents-to-be reaction when opening the box, this was by far one of my favorite pics of the day---the proud Nana & Papa to be's reaction was priceless!
 
The whole crowd gathered for a picture :)  Baby Wyatt is already loved by so, so many!
 
Parents-To-Be, Grandparents-To-Be and the Proud Uncle

My super fab party helper! 

I was so excited to be involved in this process!  Can't wait to meet Baby Wyatt in July!

If you follow me on Instagram, you've already seen this but this was the moment of the reveal!  It was so fun.  But note to self for next reveal--don't stuff so many balloons in the box, they didn't all come out at the same time as planned.

OK, moving on to the rest of the day Saturday, I had the pleasure of having two super special Valentine's.  We had dinner at Chick-Fil-A (because where else would we go to celebrate love) and then home for a movie (Frozen for the 918,422nd time).  I couldn't have asked for better dates for my V-Day evening---take that Cupid!

Now before I go on with the story, if you are squeamish, have a bad gag reflex or don't like talk about bodily fluids, here's your cue to stop reading.  Let me first start by saying that I have been a "Jenny" for 24 years and this has never happened to me. Other than Jenny being my name, it is also used to describe my relationship with a whole bunch of  "littles" and in my personal Thesaurus, it is just another word for Aunt, second momma, kid spoiler, homework helper, party arranger, etc.  I've been around children my entire life.  My mother started a home daycare when I was in middle school and my sister took it over after she passed.  I adore all of my friend's kids and it's kind've funny when people ask me or the kids who I am---they just say, "well, she's my Jenny."  And that's that!

Back to the story at hand...I've had too many slumber parties and sleepover's to count---like at least once or twice a month there are kids at my house.  But this weekend was definitely a first!  After heading to bed around 9:30, I woke up around 12:30 to the most unpleasant odor ever in my bed---vomit!  Let me just say that I give all you momma's mad respect for dealing with sick kids but this was my first rodeo.  When the girls spend the night, they usually sleep in my bed vs. the guest bedroom because I let them watch TV until they fall asleep.  And truth be told, I am actually glad that the sickness occurred in my bed vs. my guest bed because I have a mattress pad on my master bed (thank you Rooms to Go salesman for the upsell).  Anywhoodle, without going into the incredibly nasty details, I had to clean up a horrible mess from the innards of an 8 years and the back of a 3 year old who happened to be in the unfortunate path of said innards from her big sister.  So...laundry started around 1am and commenced about 4am.  Just so you know, she's starting to feel a little better after I decided to call her momma to come get her at 3am because she had another throw-up episode but luckily this time, she made it to the bathroom.  I'm thinking it was just a tummy bug and am hoping that she didn't pass it on but I also want to thank the good Lord above for keeping my incredible gag reflex under wraps and that I didn't have to clean up after myself as well---I'm sure it was just the adrenaline rush.  Again, all you momma's are ROCK STARS!

Sunday, lazy Sunday---oh, how I needed that nap after only getting about 3 hours of sleep.  But after church, I came home, put on my jammies, wrapped up in a snuggly warm blanket and watched Best of Me.  And I finished my evening watching the SNL 40th Anniversary---the Jeopardy & Wayne's World skits were hilarious and did not disappoint.  Sit down Kanye!

Alright gals, I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!  If you are on the East Coast stay warm.  The weather forecast is predicting some snow and ice for NC today and tomorrow but I am flying to sunny FL on Wednesday for work (weather permitting).  I've got some good stuff planned for the blog this week so be sure to come back and check it out. 

2 comments:

Megan said...

The gender reveal was precious!!! You did a great job! Nuts or no nuts...hysterical! I will have to remember that one! ;) and oh bless your heart with the throw up!! It has happened several times to us and it is not pleasant!! It is for sure not a way you want to wake up! I have gotten to where if my kids are sick we sleep on towels with an empty trash can in the bed with us!! Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

Jenny Morgan said...

LOL Megan--the Nuts or No Nuts was something I saw on Pinterest and said I have to do it! Inappropriate, maybe--but for the crowd that was here it was spot on. And thanks for the compassion about the throw up experience---had I known she was feeling the slightest bit queasy, I would definitely made some concessions but thank God she is feeling better and even more so that I didn't get it.