Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Let's Talk Tuesday...Is 40 the new 30?

Hi Girls-

Happy Tuesday!  I hope y'all had a great Monday---or as good as it could be considering it was the first post Daylight Savings day.  Whew, that was tough!  I actually fell asleep on the couch last night--with lights on, tv on, didn't turn my alarm on and I didn't wake up until 7:30 this morning. 

So, today I wanted to talk about age today.  Before I get started, by no means am I saying I'm old.  I'm 36--soon to be 37 in May and some days I feel 77.  Like when my bones crack when I get up out of bed, when I think about how long I've been out of high school and college or when I don't even get carded at the liquor store (aren't they supposed to card everyone?)  Anywhoodle, while having dinner last Friday with my sister, she blurted out that "You're closer to 40 than you are 30."  While that is true, it hit me like a hot poker stick right through my heart.  This also comes on the tail end of another "friend" of mine telling me last week that "I wasn't getting any younger" and "he didn't know why I wasn't married".  That's right---a HE!  How stupid is HE for even saying that---I'm not even sure I'll calling him my friend now :) 


Yes, the realization has hit that I am quickly approaching 40.  In being completely honest, it does scare me.  But I'm not sure if it's any scarier than when I turned 30.  I was devastated when I turned 30 because I remember thinking that was so old when I was in high school.  I also wasn't where I wanted to be at when I turned 30--unmarried, no children, etc.  Heck, I'm not where I expected to be at 36 but you know what that's ok.  My new challenge for myself is to not be so caught up in my age (and that's going to be really hard for me).  I'm going to put forth my energy in realizing how blessed I am to be 36 or 37 or 40 or whatever age comes because I am happy, healthy, have fabulous family and friends that love me, a beautiful home and a job that affords me a great life.  I'm going to stop complaining about getting older and feeling older and live in the moment because I'm never promised another day.  I'm going to truly be thankful for God giving me another hour, another day, another year to live.  And I'm going to make sure I tell all of my beautiful friends the same thing!  Age really is just a number :)
 
Alright you young whipper snappers :)  Get out there and party like you are 20--oh and pop a few extra Advils tonight if you aren't so you don't feel 60 in the morning. 

I'm going to leave you with a few of my favorite meme's I found while searching "Feeling Younger memes".  I thought these were pretty funny and completely spot on with what is going on inside that crazy head of mine.
#TRUTH


It's just not the same anymore--throwing your phone does too much damage nowadays :)


If you know what this is, you are probably age appropriate to be reading my blog :)

 
I remember "dancing" to Smells Like Teen Spirit at my middle school dance.  OK, it was all head banging but we thought it was dancing.  Anyway, this does make me feel really old--I mean, the baby on the album is grown up.  How did that happen?
 
Alright my fabulous blog reading friends, that's all I have going on in the randomness of my head.  I hope you all have a super fantastic rest of the day.
 
Oh and one last thing---just a quick "Hey Girl" to my new friend Tracy who sent me a sweet tweet yesterday.  I rarely get on Twitter but Monday's I watch the Bachelor and love reading all the funny tweets from former contestants and other crazies from the show and saw I had a notification from this sweet girl.  Yes, we can be best friends :) 
 

6 comments:

Shelly Janac said...

Heck I just really started figuring out who I really am since turning 40!! I do let the lines on my face get me a little down some days but I am definitely more content than ever before!

Deena Simair said...

I really hope that 40 is the new 30 because, being half way through my 30s, I am only now feeling like I'm getting the hang of things. I could use a decade or two to rock it.

Lana L. said...

Turning 40 was hard for me, although I honestly couldn't explain why. Now that I'm almost 48 (?!?) and closer to 50 than 40, I've really learned to appreciate every day that I'm on this earth. Great post!

Jenny Morgan said...

Good to know Shelley! Contentment for me will hopefully equal peace! Bring on the last few years of my 30's!

Jenny Morgan said...

Lol Dee! I love your attitude! Turning 36 was the toughest for me because it meant I was now in my "late" 30's. It's ok though! Life does go on!

Jenny Morgan said...

Thank you for commenting that--appreciate every moment! So very true! Now I simply must remember it!