Monday, July 6, 2015

Weekend Recap...Vacation Edition---Fireworks, Hot Vets & Swag!

Hi Girls-

Happy Monday!  Yes, I am on vacation but I missed y'all so much that I thought I would catch up real quick. 

OK, before I get into what I did over the weekend, I would be remiss if I didn't give all sorts of congratulations to the USA Women's soccer team for winning the World Cup and playing the most exciting game I've ever seen.  And I'm not even that into soccer but I was on the edge of my seat.  It was crazy awesome!  Way to go USA!

 
Alright gals, here's the abbreviated version of my weekend.  I am having a super great time with my family and friends and know this week is going to fly by but I am going to try to enjoy every second of it.

I had kind of a late start on Friday morning because I decided to go work out first.  I think I was already realizing the massive amounts of calories I would be consuming through cocktails and good eatin' so I wanted to do my body a little good beforehand. 

This was the first picture of my vacation!

If you follow me on IG (nc30grits), you already saw this picture but I made a brief pit stop to pick up peaches, blackberries and some apple butter at my favorite farm on the way to the beach and picked up this beauty: a peach enchilada!  Oh my word gals, it was totally worth the 8,432 calories that I consumed driving down the road!  So worth it!
I am so lucky that my girls are such good car riders.  They have been in a car since they were babies and spend most of their riding time in this bed sleeping.  But once we got closer, they could smell the salt air and knew that it was almost time to get out so their excitement kicked in....and so did mine.  I'm like a kid in a candy store knowing that I'm that close to the beach.  It's my happy place!


 
After unloading everything and replacing one of the air conditioners in the camper (ugh, but such is life), we settled in and had one too many cocktails which made this particular game of Heads Up super fun!  If you haven't downloaded this app, you must!  It really is a good time and everyone can play it!
Saturday rolled around and it started out stuendously!  I love not waking up to an alarm clock and rolling out of bed to have coffee by the sea.  Coffee always taste better with a little sand mixed in :)
But here's where a little excitement came into play.  One of my sweet fur babies started yelping when she jumped down off things and me, being the overly cautious pet momma, went on the search trying to find a vet open July 4th weekend.  Which by the way is no easy task!  Luckily, I found a vet who was able to get me in that morning and girls, this may be the highlight of my entire week.  Why you ask?  Well, because the vet that we saw was easily the hottest veterinarian that I believe exists in the whole world.  Girls, I am not kidding!  I'm talking Hottie McVeterstein.  Like, I'm not sure if it was the light shining from the hall way when he opened the exam room door or the heavens opening up for a brief moment but I am certain God and the angels above were singing when this fine man strolled into my room.  I can only describe him as having lumberjack good looks in blue scrubs.  And at the very moment, I was also painfully aware of the fact that I had on no make up, a baseball cap and a shirt that fit a bit too snug from the 5 pieces of pizza that I ate the night before.  I mean, for reals, who gets dressed up to go to the vet!!!  And get this girls, his name was Stone...Dr. Matt Stone---doesn't that just sound hot?!?  Let me also say that all the women in the office also looked like they had just stepped off the stage from the Miss USA pageant--they were all gorgeous! 

These pictures don't do him any justice and I'm pretty sure this qualifies me as some sort of stalker status but, of course, I had to share it with y'all.  He said he was going to call Monday...ok, he's only calling to check up on my pooch but hey, this is my fantasy...let me live it!

 

OK, now that my heart palpitations settled down, let's get into the "Happy 4th of July" festivities!  If I'm being honest, this was the only firework I saw on Saturday.  I was in the camper keeping 4 dogs calm from the loud noises.  No biggie...I know what they look like. 
Because of our late start, we didn't make it down to the beach until after lunch but it was perfect nonetheless and still gave me much needed time for people watching.  And there are plenty of folks to watch during a holiday weekend. Lots of patriotic bikinis and swim trunks to be had---I love America!

I will spare y'all this picture on IG a million times this week as it will most likely be a standard occurrence of how I spend everyday while I am here.  R&R!  With a little bit of alcohol mixed in ;) 
Saturday night, we grilled out and I made myself sick---like I couldn't stuff anything else in my mouth because I ate so much sick!  My sister made these squash fritters and I'm not kidding, they may be the best things I have ever put in my mouth.  I'm talking like "slap your momma good".  If you are a squash and a hush puppy fan, you will not be disappointed.  Like I'm drooling just thinking about it right now.  Here's a pic in case you didn't catch it on IG over the weekend.
Sunday pretty much looked just like Saturday just without the fritters--sun, fun and cocktails.    However, I did make cobbler---a blackberry and a peach.  I'm pretty sure I've talked about Ree Drummond's recipe on here before but if you need a go to cobbler recipe, this is the one to try.  So super easy.  Mine got a little crispy because I baked it in a toaster over but once you threw some vanilla ice cream over it, you couldn't even tell.  My peach cobbler recipe is Paula Deen's---almost exactly the same as Ree's but you boil the peaches and sugar together.  Anywhoodle, it was amazingly good!
Did I mention that I love the beach?  Oh, and did I also mention that I am now obsessed with the Word Swag app.  Shelly I am pretty sure you told me about this app and I just recently started using it but I CAN'T STOP with it...be prepared for lots of pictures with words. 

This is one of my favorite songs ever and I thought this was the perfect picture to go along with it.  I'm pretty certain I'm going to get this put on a canvas to hang in my house.  I may change the font around but I'm loving it.

OK girls, that's all I have for today.  I'm not sure how much I'll be blogging this week but I don't want to get too far behind.  I will leave you with this...I saw this on IG yesterday and thought this looks like some super fun!  Who's up for it?



8 comments:

Deena Simair said...

I love that you included pics of the sexy Vetguy. Nothing like a rugged man handling an animal.

Jen @ And Hattie Makes Three said...

Looks like you had an amazing weekend and that peach enchilada - BE STILL MY HEART!
I don't even like peaches...lol.
It makes me happy when my blog friends post happiness and lots of food on their blogs...as I'm making bacon for dinner...lol!

Katie Mitchell said...

I laughed through this entire thing!! Then was like she better have pics!! And you did!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahah...have a great rest of the week!!! And all that food...yum!!!!!!!!!!!

Lana L. said...

So glad you checked in on your vacation - looks like such a fun weekend! I'm the same - I get so excited when we're getting closer to the beach. Only three weeks and I'll be in my happy place too. And I love me a slip and slide - so I'm in!

Shelly Janac said...

Isn't the wordswag app amazing?!! I seriously love it and if you play with it enough you will find more and more fun things to do! Love the words you chose. Looks like a fun time at the beach..I'm dying for a beach getaway!

Sandra Black said...

Thank you for taking the time away from your vacation to make a blog post! LOVE the update!! :) ......looking forward to hearing more about the Dr. because let's face it, he is not just calling to check in on your puppy ;)

Kimm said...

I love reading what you wrote. You always make me laugh and smile. and uh if you ever need anything for your camper call me, my hubby can hook you up ;) and yes to the dreamy vet

Laura said...

What a hottie!! And he has a job! And he loves animals! Please say he called you! Even if it was to let you know how your baby was doing!