Monday, August 10, 2015

Empty Nesting....

Hi Girls-

Happy Monday!  I'm going to do my weekend recap a little later this week.  This is mostly due to the fact that I forgot my memory card with all my pictures prior to traveling today.  So with that said, I'm just going to move my Abbey post up a couple of days.

If you follow me on IG (nc30grits), you know that yesterday was the last day that I had my sweet Abbey with me.  She has gone home to Richmond to spend some time with her family before starting back to school at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.  I am so saddened that our time together has come to an end but I am super excited for her as well because she is starting her senior year and has so many opportunities and wonderful things that will be happening over the next year.

Which leads me to this...

OK, so yes, I know this technically doesn't apply to me because Abbey isn't my child and I've only had her for a short 2.5 months but y'all, my heart is totally feeling this way.  I don't know how you momma's of college age children or just children that have moved on deal with it.  Her room is so bare now, void of any personal effects and her clothes in the closet.  I don't hear Nick at Nite playing on the TV.   It's so quiet in my house now and I'm so happy that I'll be traveling over the next few weeks. 

If you haven't been reading this Summer, you may not know the background on how Abbey came to live with me.  You can read my first post about her here.  Anywhoodle, long story short, Abbey was only supposed to be with me for a few weeks before she moved into her permanent host home, but we decided early on that it was just meant for her to stay the Summer with me.  Which is sooooo unlike me!  I am a single, never been married, never had a roommate girl who loves her personal space and the opportunity to roam around my house naked anytime I want.  Having someone come into my home that I didn't know couldn't seem any less ideal but she and I just fit together---kind've like Chick-Fil-A nuggets and a milkshake (she'll appreciate that analogy).  We hit it off---and spent the next couple of months having late night girl chats, frequenting Chick-Fil-A far too many times to count, eating an abundance of ice cream and her listening to the plethora of first dates that I was going on.  It actually was so nice having someone just to talk to.  Abbey took me completely out of my comfort zone and her love for Jesus and strong faith made me ask some serious questions of myself and where I was at in my relationship with Christ.  My life will forever be blessed for being able to get to know her and spend such quality time together.  Now, I can't even imagine saying no when I was asked to house her because I wouldn't have had such an opportunity to have met an incredible young woman who has the brightest future imaginable. 

I didn't mention this before because I wanted Abbey to be relish in this for a bit but she became engaged while she was with me.  She had gone on vacation just a couple of weeks ago with her boyfriend's family and her sweet love popped the question.  Have you seen a cuter couple?  I mean, seriously?!?  Don't they kind of remind you of Malibu Barbie & Ken?  Abbey's, now sweet fiancé, is a student at Liberty University...which could be another reason that she is excited about getting back to school so she can spend all her time with him.  Let the wedding planning commence!

OK, so here's how I'll end this.  A final letter to my sweet Abigail!

My sweet, amaze-balls Abigail-
How is it that the Summer flew by so quickly?  What I first thought would be a Summer of hiding my jewelry and silver because I didn't know if "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs" crazy was moving in turned out to be a Summer spent learning and developing an ever-lasting relationship with you.  My life will forever be changed by this experience. 

You, Abigail, are an amazing young woman!  What a fantastic future you have awaiting you, not only being a wife to your love, but serving the Lord in whatever capacity He leads you too.  You are so incredibly talented and I can't wait to see how that talent continues to grow. 

I think back to all of our great chats we've had and laughing about "who knows what" and dancing in the car to music you've never heard and being asked if I was your mother and feeling super old because you didn't know who Kid Rock or Cheryl Crow were and introducing you to movie classics like 'Steel Magnolias' and telling people of your aversion to vegetables and buying tons of mac and cheese and ice cream (which I still don't know where you put it) and listening to you practice and loving watching you on stage feeling the spirit while you perform and letting you do some of the chores (which took me a while but...).  These are just a few of the memories that I'll take with me from this super fantastic Summer. 
This is when I actually realized she was going to be leaving...

I wish you nothing but the best for your future!  Know that you are so very loved in NC and always have a home here.

Love Always---
Jenny

Alright gals, that's all I have for today.  I hope you had a great weekend!  Can't wait to share some pictures of the trip Abbey and I took to a ranch on Friday.  They are hi-larious!  Have a great rest of your Monday! 

0 comments: