Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Why Do I Blog?

Hi Girls-

Happy Wednesday!  Did I mention that I missed y'all?  I really have.  I'm in the midst of reading over all of my favorite bloggers from the past month and getting caught up on all of your lives.  I really love that the blogging community feels so close knit and that I seriously could be BFF's with so many of you. Don't you think that if we all lived in a compound somewhere all together, we would have so much fun?  Hmm, that sounds a lot creepier than I wanted it to but y'all know what I mean. 

Have y'all seen this meme before?  I found it last night when I was finishing up this post and thought it was so funny and for the most part so true.  When I tell people that I blog, I sometimes get really strange reactions.  At this day and age, I would think more people would have heard of blogging but I just suppose a lot of people are still living under a rock ;)


I have so many blog posts I need to write in order to get caught up on from my vacation to what's been going on in my dating life to my intern Abbey and so forth.  But first,  I wanted to take a step back and write about why I became a blogger in the first place.

I wrote my very first blog post on January 1, 2014.  You can check it out here.  I had been a blog follower of many for several years but never felt confident enough in my writing abilities to actually do it myself.  My concern was "who would ever want to read anything that a single girl in her 30's had to say?"  I'm sure everyone felt that way when they first got started.  Will I be interesting enough?  Will I be funny?  Will I have new things to talk about week in and week out?  Do I want to expose all my inner, deepest darkest secrets?  OK, maybe that last one was just me but you gals get it.  It really takes a lot for someone to get the courage to put their life out there for everyone on the world wide web to read...and maybe criticize.  But I decided to take that first step and did it!  And I couldn't be happier to consider myself a blogger amongst so many super, unbelievably talented women who are in a word AMAZING!  These women make me laugh, cry, think about life in different ways, encourage me, push me, pray for me, love me and make me realize how crazy blessed I really am. 

One of these women is the reason I decided to started blogging in the first place.  She was the 2nd blog I ever started reading and I felt an immediate kinship to her because she was a single girl just like myself navigating through the world of being single.  I wanted to write about this last week when I heard the heartbreaking news of Leslie Sisti passing but I, like many, who only knew her through her blog, felt completely broken.  If you don't know Leslie, she was the incredible author behind the super fab A Blonde Ambition blog.  She was a Believer who was immensely talented and witty and funny and creative and absolutely gorgeous!  I styled so many of my blog posts after her, especially in the beginning, and loved participating in her Confessional Friday's that she did every week.  I followed Leslie through meeting her wonderful husband Stephen and having her two beautiful baby girls who she absolutely adored.  But due to a congenital heart issue she's had since birth and some complications after her second baby was born, Leslie became very ill and went to be with Jesus on July 27th.  I am not surprised by the outpouring of love that has come across social media and all the beautiful stories that have been shared in memory of her.  My heart just breaks for her husband who had her for a far too little amount of time and for her babies who are both under two who will never know for themselves how wonderful their momma was.  This past week made me realize just how blessed I am and how things aren't always as bad as you think.  I don't like to compare myself to other people because everyone struggles in different ways but if you really look deep down inside yourself, it is amazing to really feel and understand just how much you have---even if it's just a roof over your head, a healthy family and children, being healthy yourself, having a job, etc.  I have been truly humbled by her passing and know that her light will continue to shine on in those beautiful girls she created.  If you feel led, please consider giving to the fund her husband set up for their children here.  Otherwise, please continue to pray for this family, including her parents and siblings and in-laws. 

Back to the question in the title of this post, the reason that I blog is so that I don't forget certain key events that happen in my life.   It may not be significant to anyone but me but these are my stories---this is my life.  These are the funny things that happened to me or the sad stories that I am choosing to remember and share.  These are the moments that mean the most or the least and I just want to remember.  I love writing about my family and friends and throwing parties and vacations.  These are the things that I enjoy looking back on saying, "wow, that was fun."  Or "I can't believe I did that or said that."  I hope that one day I will be able to write about meeting the love of my life and that will just be another chapter in this book I call my blog...and my life.  I'm sure Leslie's children will one day appreciate reading what their momma wrote about her love for them and how they and their sweet Daddy were the best things that ever happened to her.  I don't blog to get accolades or to make money---this is a fun hobby for me that has allowed me to express myself in ways that I typically am not able to do verbally.  I say things here that I often don't feel comfortable saying out loud and although there is the risk of being criticized by others, I have had nothing but a completely positive experience since I started.  I love being a part of the blogging world and I love all the friends I have made through this process!  You girls rock!!!

Thanks y'all for hanging in there with me on this!  Come back tomorrow where I'm giving you a whole bunch of randomness and introducing y'all to a sweet gal pal of mine who is now part of the blogging world. 

0 comments: