Monday, May 16, 2016

Happy Monday Y'all!

Hey Girls-

Happy Monday!  I'm a lot late in posting today--sorry!  I had full intentions on working on the blog yesterday but fell victim to a whole bunch of caffeine and the need to clean my entire upstairs, which was in desperate need of cleaning.  I spent my entire afternoon washing what felt like 800 loads of laundry, vacuuming everywhere, starting the Winter to Summer transition in my closet and dusting off the 6 layers of dust that had accumulated on everything I own.  I need a housekeeper!  And a chef, a 24 hour a day personal trainer (to knock bad foods out of my mouth) and oh, while we're at it...throw in a boyfriend too.

I'm pretty sure I've used this before but look at it...it is just as funny the second time around.  If you could see me right now, you would know that I actually don't look too different from this right now.  I worked out at 645 this morning, still haven't had a shower, my hair is all a mess.  I'm lucky that I've brushed my teeth.

So what did y'all do over the weekend?  Mine was actually pretty tame and relaxing---well, considering the cleaning part on Sunday.  But it had to be done or I'm sure the people from the Hoarders TV show would be knocking at my door.  But since that's not the case now, here's what I did this weekend...

Friday night, I was home by my lonesome so I decided to have dinner and a movie.  I went to Zoe's (if you have a Zoe's near you and haven't been, you must go) on Thursday with my gal pal Jenna which just happens to be across the street from my favorite market Trader Joe's.  Anywhoodle, she is allergic to just about everything under the sun food wise and had told me about cauliflower rice that she had been using to make a version of one of my Chinese faves--chicken fried rice.  I had considered using cauliflower for stuff before but I detest raw cauliflower and just figured I would hate it.  Well...that couldn't be further from the truth.  Trader Joe's has a version in the produce section that is already grated for your convenience so it literally is as easy as pouring it out of the bag.  I didn't take a pic of the process while I made it on Friday but I made the same thing for lunch on Saturday but substituted shrimp instead. 

So, here's my version of Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice that is a lot more figure friendly than your traditional kind and ultimately helps me keep to my goals of no starches. 

1/2 green pepper chopped, 1/4 Vidalia onion chopped, 1/2 shredded carrots, 2/3 cup riced cauliflower, 4 oz shrimp

Saute shrimp until pink--I use cooking spray for this process as I'm being super conscious of my fat intake through oil but you can use oil if you like.

I did, however, use 1 tsp of oil for my rice cauliflower and to saute my veggies. 

I cooked my veggies just a couple of minutes to make them tender.  I really like mine crisp but cook until it reaches your desired texture.

Add in the riced cauliflower---cook for a few minutes more. 

Add 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (or coconut amino).

Add back in shrimp (or chicken or whatever you desire).


And enjoy!
It was amazingly good and not just because I haven't had any type of starch for over a month but it really did taste like rice.  This version only had 177 calories but was super filling.  Now on Friday night, I did add an egg to it.  If you do this, I added it right before I added the meat in.  Today, I made it for lunch and added in bean sprouts as well.  So, so good!  And I didn't miss the real rice one bit!

Saturday, I attempted to give blood.  I really wanted to but needles and me just don't mix and I apparently worked my heart rate up enough to not be able to give.  It is supposed to be under 100 and the first time they checked it, I was at 101.  Second time was 103.  It just wasn't meant to be.  Oh and don't be concerned because by the time I got home, it was a cool 78.  Later that afternoon, I attended a lingerie shower for a friend who is getting married in July (and I'm her wedding director--I love bossing people around).  And then came home for a little R&R before heading out to the White Water Center for River Jam with my gal pal Pam and her boy G.  Every Thursday and Saturday a band plays and it's free to the public.  It was perfect weather...that is before the sun went down and the wind started blowing.  OMGeee, we needed more blankets.
Isn't he the cutest kid?



Sunday was my day to serve at church which means a pretty long morning but I was super psyched because I was sporting my brand new purse from my gal pal Sakena that I received on my birthday which excited me even more when I found the side zippers where I could store my phone and keys--it's the little things that make me happy.

And then as I talked about above, I spent the rest of my day cleaning house until I finally settled down around 11 hoping to dive into this book by Emily Maynard, who I absolutely adore, because the Bachelor/Bachelorette is one of my guilty pleasures, and she is a local to the Charlotte area.  Gosh is this girl pretty!  Unfortunately, Mr. Sandman won that battle but I'm hoping to get started on it this week.

So, I'm trying something new with my hair. It may sound hard to believe because I'm pretty high maintenance in every other facet of my life but I am actually pretty low maintenance when it comes to getting hair, makeup, getting ready, etc.  I can typically shower and be ready to leave in 30 minutes (if I don't have to shave).  My hair has a bit of natural wave so I just blow dry it straight--never got into the whole straightener thing.  I felt my hair was lacking body when I just dried it so I tried hot rollers but didn't really like the results.  I haven't used a curling iron in about 20 something years---really since the day of the bang roll and wings from high school but I bought one several years ago just to have on hand in case someone was staying in my house that needed one.  Well, I picked it up the night of my birthday and really liked the results.  However, I don't like spending the extra 30 minutes now getting dressed.  Any suggestions from you gals that lack body?
Still a work in progress but I'm digging it.
Alright gals, that's all I did this weekend...how is it already Monday again?  Come back tomorrow where I'm sharing about all things Nashville.  

0 comments: