Monday, January 16, 2017

Happy New Christmas Holiday 2017!

Hi Girls-

Merry Christmas!  Happy New Year!  Happy Holidays!  Whatever...I'm just trying to cover all my bases since it's been a month since I blogged.  Eeeek!  I know.  Will I ever get this blogging thing right?  Probably not but expect to hear from me every now and then at least.  I just have so much going on y'all and there's only so many hours in the day.  But I commend all you amazing, fabulous bloggers who day in and day out bring the most fantastic stories and food and fashion to all your followers.  You gals rock!

I figured a good easy way to ease me back into the land of the blogging world would be to recap my holidays.  When I last left you, I was coming off of a big high from visiting NYC at the most magical time of the year.  You can check out that post here.  I had the most wonderful time and will definitely make sure that is on my agenda to do again. 

Was it just me or did Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year just totally fly by this year?  I mean, it was over in a flash.  I was late getting my Christmas up this year because I had an unusually high bit of travel for work in 2016--especially towards the end.  Normally I put it up right after Halloween--yep, you heard that right girls...I am that person!  But I have a good reason...well, at least good enough for me.  My sister and I always go to the beach for Thanksgiving.  It's one of our traditions.  I know lots of folks who do their trees and decorations right after Turkey day.  But because I'm not home and honestly because I have SOOOOO many decorations, I feel like I'm doing my self and the Christmas spirit a disservice if I don't have a good full 2 months to enjoy everything.  But this year, I didn't get any of it up until after people were letting their pants out from gorging themselves.  Oh the travesty!  I actually almost had myself convinced to not do any decorations because I was only going to be able to enjoy them for a measly 30 days but luckily my inner Grinch's heart grew 3 sizes almost overnight and I pushed ole Ebenezer out of the house and brought everything down from the attic.  And I'm so glad I did!  It seriously is the most wonderful time of the year! 

Here's a little glimpse of how my house was decorated for the holidays.  I didn't take as many pictures as I normally do but oh, I'm so glad I got all this stuff out. 





 

Christmas is also such a fun time for parties and get togethers with your best pals--I mean who really needs an excuse to have a cookie exchange.  Am I right?  It's also a great time to give back.  Here are a couple of the Christmas fun times I did in December.

My life group volunteered packing boxes for Samaritan's Purse.  What an amazing experience to be able to share in this experience.  And also truly humbling of how spoiled we are!  I've seen videos and pictures of the joy on these kids faces when they receive one of these special boxes that was packed with love by millions of people around the world--the excitement when they open that box and it reveals a dollar store doll or bubbles or a washcloth and soap or some hard candy or a Barbie or a pair of socks.  Can you imagine if that's all your kids had to open on Christmas?  Would they be disappointed?  I know I would have been at that age.  If you've never done this type of thing before, I would strong encourage you to do so...and bring your kids along so they can see just how blessed they really are. 






My girlfriend Courtney and I have hosted our second annual cookie exhange.  Although I couldn't eat said cookies this year, it was so much fun fellowshipping with such a beautiful group of ladies whom I adore.  Oh and I got to wear another one of my tutus.  Hells to the yeah--any excuse!






And my girls got into the Christmas spirit as well...for like 30 seconds.  They were less than amused that I put these costumes on them.  But they were 75% off at PetsMart and I just couldn't help myself.


Tribe Christmas didn't occur until after the first of the year because of all of our crazy schedules and we didn't get a picture of the group together but y'all...I seriously have THE MOST AMAZING FRIENDS IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD.  And they know me sooooo well!  There definitely appeared to be a theme after we all opened up our gifts and that theme was:  graphic tees, socks, Golden Girls, jewelry and most importantly a whole lotta love.  #findyourtribe #lovethemhard

This was my stash of goodies!
 


Now onto New Year's---I must be getting old!  Like for reals y'all--I can remember back in the day where I enjoyed getting dressed up and knowing I'd be out until 3 or 4 in the morning but this 38 year old body just can't hang like that anymore.  Last year, my BFF Pamela and I went down to Charleston and rang in the New Year with some of the cast from my favorite Bravo show 'Southern Charm'.  If you didn't read that post before, you can check it out here.  I had the time of my life.  But this year and because of how busy I've been I just wanted bringing in 2017 to be as relaxing as possible.  So that's just what I did.  A couple of my tribe members were out of town so my BFF Elizabeth and I snacked it up on Zoe's, a whole bunch of champagne and some flat figurines of our other besties who weren't here with us.  If you didn't see it on IG, here are some of the pics. 


 
 
And one day we are going to celebrate NYE just like this...in true Golden Girls fashion!
 
And here we are...2017.  Did you make any resolutions?  Normally I do...a long list of them that I never complete fully---ever.  I didn't but if I did, I would have listed some of the same things that I usually do every year...you know the typical lose a whole bunch of weight, get healthy, believe in love, be nicer to people, blah blah blah, etc.  What's awesome is that this is the first year that I wouldn't have some big weight loss goal to totally trip me up for the next few months because I've worked my ass (literally lol) off for the last 9 months to get that under control. 

But this year, I decided to chunk that all out the window--this is my year.  The year to do things my way.  2017 is going to be great!  I know that things won't always go my way but y'all...I am so crazy blessed.  I have the greatest sister ever and an amazing BIL, the coolest and most awesome group of besties a girl could ever ask for, a great job that I love that also affords me an incredible life, a beautiful home, my perfect almost 15 year old poodles, an amazing sense of style, the ability to make day old make up still look good...oh and I'm very humble (obviously, lol). 

But if I did make resolutions, I would totally go with this.  I saw this on someone's IG page (if you are reading this and this was yours, thanks so much!) 

Last but not least...I debated sharing this because if you've been reading my blog for any length of time you know that my love life has not been exactly ideal.  But I appreciate the true transparency and realness I read in other fab blogs so I aspire to do the same and continue to be honest in what I share.  Y'all know that I've been on enough bad dates that I totally could write a book about it---and who knows, maybe one day I will.  I'm stubborn and strong willed and independent and not the kind of gal that lets just any random Schmo into her world and well, that's just me.  Take it or leave it---which has resulted in a lot of leave it!

But somewhere in between saying "screw this online dating mess" and I'm never going to meet someone that I can be my true self around---I met someone.  I'm not sure where it's going yet and y'all know that based on past experiences that dating and love aren't my best attribute but I'm actually trying to be open and much more optimistic this go around. 

Anywhoodle, I'm sharing this because I want to remember how this feels.  I want to be able to look back on this in 6 months, even if this particular thing doesn't work out, and remind myself that it's ok to be vulnerable and let someone start to chip away at that steel/concrete/barbwire wall that I've done so well in building around myself over the last 20 years.  That same wall that's always protected me from getting hurt but has also prevented me from really getting close to anyone too.

OK gals, that's all I have for today.  Man this felt good to be back at it.  Come back tomorrow where I share all about one of my amazing friends and her most amazing heart and what she spent the last 5 weeks doing.

0 comments: